Surprising Vegan Foods

During the first few months of becoming vegan, it’s a good idea to learn as much about vegan food as possible. Know all your options. Learn what restaurants are vegan-friendly and learn what grocery store foods are vegan. Read labels. Yes, it may take more time to shop but it’s worth it. Wouldn’t you rather know before you buy? Why be disappointed when you get home. It’s worth the effort. Read the labels on everything.

Most food packaging now mentions in bold text at the end of the ingredients list if it contains milk, dairy, or eggs in the product. This definitely makes it easier to identify non-vegan foods. There will be many foods, unfortunately, that you think are vegan but aren’t. I quickly learned that my favorite bread contained milk. Luckily I found a brand I like even better that is vegan. (So there, you-stupid-bread-with-cows-milk-and-why-do-you-have-cows-milk-in-your-recipe-for-humans-anyway? That felt good to get out! Sigh.)

On the bright side, there are tons of products out there that you would never think are vegan but are. Yippee! It’s good to have options. Oreos are vegan. Twizzlers and Hot Tamales are vegan too. You can see there is a lot of vegan junk food out there.

You can find your favorites in this guide by PETA: Accidentally Vegan. VegNews magazine has a column also called I Can’t Believe It’s Vegan! that they run from time-to-time. If you haven’t checked out this magazine yet, it’s a must for all vegans.

Now I have to add a word of caution. Most of the items on these lists are not real food in my opinion. I hesitated to write a post on this topic because I would rather people, vegans and non-vegans alike, eat real, unprocessed food. However, in a pinch, this list is helpful. I also know that having some of these foods as options for new vegans makes for an easier transition to a vegan diet. So enjoy in moderation but don’t forget to eat your fruits and vegetables.

, , , ,

7 Responses to Surprising Vegan Foods

1. Sara August 28, 2007 at 7:43 pm #

I just found your blog, and I wanted to say good for you! I’ve been vegan for over 8 years, and am raising my three children vegan. While I find that your average person on the street is more likely to know what vegans don’t eat, not many of them have a clue about what we DO eat. Kudos to you for putting more information out there!

2. vegangirlnextdoor August 29, 2007 at 1:20 am #

Thanks!

3. Melissa Gillin January 20, 2011 at 10:32 pm #

I am really happy that you said “Now I have to add a word of caution. Most of the food on these lists is not real food in my honest opinion. I hesitated to write a post on this topic because I would much rather people, vegans and non-vegans alike, eat real, unprocessed food. However, in a pinch, this list can be helpful. I also think having some of these foods as vegan options makes the transition to a vegan diet easier. So enjoy in moderation but don’t forget to eat your fruits and vegetables!” I feel like it’s important to be a healthy vegan, not just eat vegan junk food. But the list is helpful if you are in a hurry and just need snack.

4. Matt April 2, 2011 at 4:30 pm #

I know this is a really old post, but while Oreos might not contain any animal pieces per se, Nabisco uses animal bone char for sugar refinement. Not all of their plants do, but there is no way of knowing which factories use the animal charcoal vs those which don’t. Also, if some DON’T use the animal charcoal, this says to me that there is a way to complete the process WITHOUT using animal bones and the company will not commit to that process. So I personally don’t eat Oreos.

It’s okay, I know a lot of vegans that do but I figure people should at least know.

• vegan girl next door April 3, 2011 at 10:07 am #

This is a very good point. Thanks for bringing this up and letting us know. You are right that this is an old post and fortunately I have moved to a much healthier vegan diet. Vegan or not, I wouldn’t even consider eating Oreos now. :)

Thanks!

5. Susan Lopez September 5, 2012 at 2:49 am #

Hi-
    Somehow I landed here from Google :-)
    While I’m not a vegan and not a vegetarian I do make lovely vegan meals many nights for health reasons and for my friends who are vegan out of respect for their beliefs and not wanting them to have to sit through a dinner amongst meat eaters. Most times people aren’t even aware that the entire meal was vegan-thank you North African and Indian cuisines!

I just wanted to put it out there that I find myself turned off by the vegan community’s emphasis on animals and animal suffering and welfare rather than just a simple opposition to all suffering and death/murder-i.e. war, poverty, i.e. the usual…

While I’m finding it increasingly difficult to stomach eating meat (it really is gross when you fight the cultural brainwashing and consider what it is you are really doing) I find myself feeling like a hypocrite when I live in a larger culture that glories in the assassination of people and still has the death penalty for humans…just sayin.

• admin September 5, 2012 at 5:50 am #

Thanks for your comment, Susan. Most vegans care about the suffering of humans just as much (or more) than the suffering of animals. One reason, perhaps, that vegans speak up for animals more is that there are plenty of meat eaters speaking up for people. The real solution is if EVERYONE would speak up for anyone less fortunate than themselves, whether it be people or animals. If everyone did something, we could cover all the bases and maybe make the world a better place for all who live here.