Tofu Ranch Dressing

Book 2 of the Set

Several people have also asked for the vegan ranch dressing recipe I have used on the Eat to Live plan. This is my adaptation of the Tofu Ranch Dressing/Dip recipe found in Eat for Health (Book 2, page 163). I switched up the spices in favor of my taste buds. If you keep the base of tofu, dates, and water, you can change-up the spices to your liking too.

Vegan Ranch Dressing
Serves 4

• 6 oz. silken tofu
  • 3 dates, pitted
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1/4 c. chopped green onions
  • 3 tbsp. water
  • 2 tbsp. fresh squeeze lemon juice
  • 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
  • 1-2 tbsp. fresh cilantro
  • 1 tsp. dill
  • 2 tbsp. Bragg’s Liquid Aminos (found at Whole Foods and other natural food stores; substitute with low-sodium soy sauce if not available)
  • 1 tsp. cayenne or other hot pepper spice (This may be too spicy for some. A pinch may be better.)

Add all ingredients in a blender and mix until smooth. This dressing only has about 2 grams of fat per serving.

About fat and salads – Yesterday I stopped by VeganMania to hear Dr. Greger speak. (Dr. Greger reads about 5,000 nutritional studies a year. He knows his stuff when it comes to nutrition.) He mentioned that you need fat in your salad to help with digestion, so low-fat or fat-free dressings are not always a good idea unless you add nuts, seeds, or avocados to your salad. I typically have nuts on my salad, so using a low-fat dressing is fine. What ‘s important to remember is fat is good if it’s in moderation and the good kind of fat, i.e. from nuts, seeds, or avocados.

7 Responses to Tofu Ranch Dressing

1. Planet Forward October 12, 2009 at 6:01 pm #

Sounds divine (the recipe!!)

I’ll give it a go

Tim

2. leslie November 23, 2009 at 2:17 pm #

Thanks for posting this- I am about a week into ETL after finding the book at the library. I was already vegan, so the switch wasn’t too tough, but it does take a lot of mindfulness to stick with it!

3. Barbara October 18, 2011 at 5:15 am #

Mmm- sounds good! I like the idea of dates in the dressing. I doubt I can find the Liquid Aminos in France, though.

• Christine October 18, 2011 at 5:36 am #

Hi Barbara, You can substitute the Liquid Aminos with low-sodium soy sauce. Thanks for reading!

4. Laura October 22, 2011 at 9:34 pm #

I’ve been reading Doc Esselstyn, “Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease.” He says absolutely “no oil.” And he even shuns nuts. I’ve been following his recommendations but do slip some almonds into my day. I have never heard that you need fat to digest salad! My husband eats two huge bowls of greens and tomatoes every day with only olive oil.

5. Laura October 22, 2011 at 9:35 pm #

Sorry… I meant to say only with balsamic vinegar.

• Christine October 23, 2011 at 12:37 pm #

Hi Laura,

Depending on the doctor and what one wants to accomplish, I have read different theories on fat. I am not an expert on nutrition, so my intent was to pass along what Dr. Greger mentioned in his talk. Check out his new website for more information: http://nutritionfacts.org.

Thanks,