Easy and Healthy Vegan Snacks

Organic Honey Crisp

Recently I read a blog post about nine quick and healthy snacks to keep you going until dinner. Animal products made up five of the nine snacks. Not too healthy in my book.

My definition of healthy may be narrower than the average consumer, but it is based on science.* I came up with 12 vegan snacks (not nine but 12 because I love you!) to keep you going anytime of day. All are plant-based, whole foods and simple. Enjoy!

12 Healthy Vegan Snacks

1. Raw nuts and seeds: Just a handful.
  2. Piece of fresh fruit. An apple a day keeps the doctor away. Better yet, switch it up. Variety is the spice of life.
  3. Sliced apple with peanut butter: Make sure the PB is just peanuts and preferably organic.**
  4. Raw veggies and humus.
  5. Whole grain crackers with peanut butter or humus.
  6. Dried fruit
  7. Smoothie: Make it green for an extra nutritional punch.
  8. Homemade trail mix: Again, just a handful.
  9. Half of a peanut butter & banana sandwich. (Try other nut butters such as almond too.)
  10. Air-popped popcorn with nutritional yeast***
  11. Toast (whole grain) with Mexican butter, aka avocado.
  12. Edamame

*Good news! Science supports a compassionate diet. Not only is a vegan diet good for you, it’s also good for the planet and all the creatures that live here. Get the facts on healthy vegan diets from the experts:

**See this post for information on my favorite, all-natural peanut butter.

***What the Heck is Nutritional Yeast? from Fat Free Vegan Kitchen.

If you enjoyed this post,
click here to get free updates by email.

, , , , ,

10 Responses to Easy and Healthy Vegan Snacks

1. A Tablespoon of Liz November 14, 2011 at 12:02 pm #

I love all of your snack ideas, they sound delicious! especially the veggie and hummus, one of my favorites!

• Christine November 14, 2011 at 12:09 pm #

I like these snacks much better than the meat and dairy snacks I was reading about last week! Thanks for reading Liz.

2. Corrie November 14, 2011 at 12:51 pm #

I often snack on most of the items on your list. Glad to see I’m not missing any! There all great suggestions!

• Christine November 14, 2011 at 1:17 pm #

The one snack missing from the list is olives. I snack on olives all the time. I buy them from the Whole Foods olive bar. If eaten only a couple at a time, they would be healthy too. I can’t believe I forgot about them!

• choirqueer November 14, 2011 at 6:20 pm #

I like olives but they are VERY high in sodium and don’t have much else to offer nutritionally. So I would really think of them as a “treat” food, like potato chips. For ordinary daily snacks, I love the ones on your list!

And of course, for those allergic to peanuts (or just don’t want to eat them), there are a variety of other nut butters and even soynut and sunflower seed butters which are also delicious and high-protein choices.

• Christine November 15, 2011 at 6:16 am #

I agree olives should be “treats”. Unfortunately I treat myself almost everyday! :)

3. windycityvegan November 15, 2011 at 8:58 am #

What a great list! We also refer to avocado as Mexican butter. And we keep a small jar of lightly salted olive oil in the fridge and call it Italian butter.

Nina’s favorite snack right now is cinnamon toast made with unrefined coconut oil (we keep a jar in the fridge so that it remains solid), fresh ground cinnamon and a pinch of turbinado sugar. Those medium chain fatty acids are good for my little kiddo!

• Christine November 15, 2011 at 10:10 am #

I like the idea of Italian butter!

4. veganbunnylove May 23, 2012 at 9:41 am #

I love your snack ideas :) very healthy :)