Recently I read a blog post about nine quick and healthy snacks to keep you going until dinner. Animal products made up five of the nine snacks. Not too healthy in my book.
My definition of healthy may be narrower than the average consumer, but it is based on science.* I came up with 12 vegan snacks (not nine but 12 because I love you!) to keep you going anytime of day. All are plant-based, whole foods and simple. Enjoy!
12 Healthy Vegan Snacks
- Raw nuts and seeds: Just a handful.
- Piece of fresh fruit. An apple a day keeps the doctor away. Better yet, switch it up. Variety is the spice of life.
- Sliced apple with peanut butter: Make sure the PB is just peanuts and preferably organic.**
- Raw veggies and humus.
- Whole grain crackers with peanut butter or humus.
- Dried fruit
- Smoothie: Make it green for an extra nutritional punch.
- Homemade trail mix: Again, just a handful.
- Half of a peanut butter & banana sandwich. (Try other nut butters such as almond too.)
- Air-popped popcorn with nutritional yeast***
- Toast (whole grain) with Mexican butter, aka avocado.
*Good news! Science supports a compassionate diet. Not only is a vegan diet good for you, it’s also good for the planet and all the creatures that live here. Get the facts on healthy vegan diets from the experts:
- Neal Barnard, M.D.
- T. Colin Campbell, Ph.D.
- Caldwell Esselstyn, M.D.
- Joel Fuhrman, M.D.
- Michael Greger, M.D.
- Julieanna Hever, M.S., R.D., C.P.T.
- McDougall, M.D.
- Ginny Messina, R.D.
- Jack Norris, R.D.
- Jeff Novick, M.S., R.D., L.D., L.N.
**See this post for information on my favorite, all-natural peanut butter.
***What the Heck is Nutritional Yeast? from Fat Free Vegan Kitchen.