Last week I attended a talk by Dr. Fuhrman at the Center on Halsted. This talk was based on his book, Super Immunity. He presented information on cancer prevention plus delivered quite a few funny jokes.
The Standard American Diet (SAD) was developed by the Taliban. ~Dr. Fuhrman
Consider the following list the “Cliff Notes” version. If you want to learn more, check out his book, Super Immunity.
- Chew your food — well! It helps with digestion and accessing specific nutrients that are released during the chewing process that otherwise are not available.
- Eat your G-BOMBS everyday. That is, eat a lot of Greens, Beans, Onions, Mushrooms, Berries and Seeds.
- Eating white flower and sugar are cancer causing, especially for breast cancer.
- Synthetic nutrients, i.e. vitamin supplements, can cause cancer when taken in excess. It is best to get your nutrients from whole foods.
- Antibiotics increases the risk of breast cancer.
- Cruciferous green vegetables lower the risk of breast cancer.
- Overcooking vegetables reduces some of the cancer-fighting compounds. He’s not against cooking them, just overcooking them.
- Eat one large raw salad per day and include a few nuts (for fat) to help absorb nutrients from the vegetables.
- Avoid processed foods.
- Take care of your health so that you don’t need to go to a doctor for remedies.
- Alcohol: 2-3 glasses a week otherwise the risk for breast cancer increases.
- Coffee: He doesn’t advocate coffee, especially if it’s an addiction, but acknowledges there are some healthy promoting properties.
- Desk jobs are killers. Get up and move–often.
- Supplements that vegans may want to consider: DHA/EPA, B12, Zinc and Iodine.
- Use food synergistically for good health.